MSc-Study Program Environmental Sciences, Academic Year 2017/18
The English MSc-Study program Environmental Sciences at the University of Vienna combines studies in natural sciences, especially Earth Sciences and Biology. The number of students attaining this Master program is limited to 30 per year. Candidate students of MSc-Curriculum Environmental Sciences are subject to the following admission procedure in three stages. Applicants whose materials receive a positive evaluation in the first two stages will be invited to an examination in the third stage.
- Examination of formal pre-study requirements (Bachelor degree or equivalent degree in Earth Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Physical Geography, Physics, or other environmental, natural or engineering sciences).
- Examination of formal requirements in English proficiency for non-native speakers.
- Written or oral examination of the subject-specific competences of the candidate students. The examination serves to review carefully the applicant’s knowledge of her/his methodological background, and academic preparation.
Application deadline: April 30th, 2017
The deadline refers to the receipt of the electronic copy of the complete application.
NEW: Application procedure using U:SPACE
U:SPACE is the portal for (prospective) students of the University of Vienna. It allows you to apply for the Master of Environmental Sciences 2017/2018 online, starting from 1st of March 2017.
New students need to register in U:SPACE and then use the portal for their application.
Already registered students at the University of Vienna log in to U:SPACE with your existing password and apply for the Master of Environmental Sciences.
The applicants are required to submit the following original or notarized copies of documents in English or German translation, if appropriate.
- Full Curriculum Vitae in English.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in an appropriate field as well as Diploma Supplement or Transcript of Records or Consolidated Grade Record of any previous university studies. Appropriate fields of study include the following. Earth Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Physical Geography, Physics, or other environmental, natural or engineering sciences. Alternatively, a letter of reference by your current institution stating that you will receive your bachelor degree latest by August 29th 2017
- Proof of English proficiency:
- Proof of successful completion of a degree program, in which English was the primary language of instruction
- TOEFL ibt (Test of English as a Foreign Language): at least 78 points
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) overall band score: 6,5
- Cambridge english first certificate (FCE): A, B or C (at least 160 points)
- Cambridge certificate in advanced english (CAE): Proof of level B2
- Language center of the University of Vienna: Score B2/3 or proof of level B2
5. Statement of purpose and motivation in English (see below).
6. Copy of your passport or identity card.
Details concerning the potentially necessary translation, legalisation or notarisation of documents can be found on the website of Studentpoint.
Please note: The University of Vienna grants no financial support of any kind to the students of Environmental Sciences. Living costs at the city of Vienna are approx. € 1000 per month.
Statement of purpose
The statement of purpose should be between 1500 and 2500 words in length, and address the following questions in clearly separated sections:
- Why do you think that Environmental Science is relevant and important in the contemporary world and why do you think a study on this subject is necessary?
- What is your personal motivation to apply for this programme?
- In which ways do you think your prior experiences, qualifications, and skills will support your studies in this new domain?
- What do you expect to learn in doing this master programme, and which role does it play in your further academic, personal, and professional development?
- Having looked at the past and present research activities and foci of Environmental Sciences at the University of Vienna, which questions relate most to your own current interests?
The document must be written in English, page numbered, and in A4 format. The name of the applying student as well as the word count of the document must be included in the document header.
- In case your applied documents will be formally incomplete, you will be notified by the Admission Office to supply additional documentation.
- In case your documents will be formally complete, an assessment committee will make a decision based on your application material.
Study begin: 01.10.2017